Real Madrid striker Luka Jovicis reportedly facing serious consequences for allegedly breaching quarantine rules, with Serbian prosecutors pushing for a six-month prison sentence.
Jovic was one of the only players permitted to leave Madrid when lockdown was announced back in March. Madrid officials granted the striker compassionate leave on account of his young child, who had been born in February. Serbian press, however, soon reported that he had been seen partying on the streets of Belgrade with other high-profile footballers – right at the beginning of a nationwide state of emergency.
Jovic has since been vilified for the allegations, and Marca report that Serbian prosecutors will meet a judge on Friday, and will push for a prison sentence of six months. If he is found guilty, Jovic also faces a substantial fine of €30,000.
Prime Minister Ana Brnabic said at the time, as per Mundo: “We have negative examples of our soccer stars charging millions and ignoring mandatory self-isolation upon returning home.
“Instead of isolating himself, the striker had fun all over Belgrade. Luka did something very stupid.”
Jovic has since apologised, though blames Madrid officials for failing to properly brief him on how to behave during isolation.
“In Madrid, my Covid-19 test came back negative,” he said in a since-deleted Instagram post. “That’s why I decided to travel to Serbia, help and support our people; in addition to being close to my family. I did it with the permission of my club.
“When I arrived in Serbia, they did the test and it came back negative. I am very sorry that some people have not fulfilled their work professionally and have not given me specific instructions on how I should behave during my isolation,”
The forward, who joined Madrid in 2019 for a reported €60m, has scored just twice in 31 appearances to date.
Luka Jovic Could Face Six Months in Prison for Alleged Quarantine Breach