Overcoming Pornography Addiction
Many men are choosing to cut back on watching porn. Overcoming Pornography Addiction Perhaps the research on how porn harms people and relationships has made them start thinking twice about what’s become a habit. Perhaps they have noticed the connections between porn and people losing their jobs, reasons cited for divorce, and the skyrocketing erectile dysfunction rates in men under 40. Or perhaps they’re just trying to be intentional about the kind of content they consume and lower their carbon footprint for media that depicts men and women as unequal.
If you’re considering giving up porn, there are some things you should know to prepare for the day when you might want to kick the habit: for some, it is easier to decide in theory but harder to do in practice. “The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak,” as it were.
Steps to Overcoming Pornography Addiction
1. First, you must acknowledge the addiction exists. Many who are caught in the trap of addiction will adamantly deny the problem. He who conceals his transgressions will not prosper, but he who confesses and forsakes them will find compassion. – Proverbs 28:13
2. You must recognize that what you are doing is wrong. Addicts find a way to justify their problem in their mind. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world. – I John 2:16
3. Understand you’re not alone
4. Make yourself accountable to a spiritual authority, perhaps a pastor or mature believer. Everybody needs a “safe” person to share their struggles with. Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much. – James 5:16
5. Study the Word of God concerning sexual purity. Therefore putting aside all filthiness and all that remains of wickedness, in humility receive the Word implanted, which is able to save your souls. – James 1:21
6. You must destroy any pornography in your possession. You can’t wean yourself off pornography. Think of the hidden pornography in your home as a ticking time bomb that will ultimately destroy your family and marriage.
7. You must learn to flee temptation. Self-deception may enter when you think you can play with fire without getting burned. Do not enter the path of the wicked, and do not proceed in the way of evil men. Avoid it, do not pass by it. Turn away from it and pass on. – Proverbs 4:14,15
8.Read up on what you’re up against
Grabbing some good reading material from the experts is wise as you start the journey, if you want to minimize the time spent spinning your wheels. Researcher Dr. Patrick Carnes leads the way with his book Facing the Shadow, which is designed to help men overcome compulsive sexual behavior such as frequent porn use